In IT we have been learning about the internet. In groups, we took photos around the School, trying hard to make sure they were straight, and had no people in them. We then thought of a caption, and finally uploaded them to the world wide web! Hope you enjoy :)
I am so excited to welcome your child into Year 2 at Berrow Primary School. Mrs Hall, Ms Cavacuiti and I have lots of exciting things planned for the coming terms, and thought it was best to write briefly to you to explain some of the things you can do at home to help with your child’s learning.
- Reading – as in Year 1, the expectation is that your child reads at home 5 times a week. This will be checked by the teaching staff on a Friday morning. We have a display in the classroom where the children move their astronaut to the next planet when they have read 5 times. Once they reach the ‘Moon’ they can choose a treat from the prize box.
- Spellings – these will be sent home weekly and tested on a Friday.
- Maths – Our class has 3 ‘Maths Monkeys’. 3 children will be chosen to take a Monkey home each week, and complete a maths challenge of their choice. If they/you could write a sentence, include a picture of this challenge in the Monkey’s exercise book this is sufficient evidence of their learning. (And should be something fun, not a chore!)
- Times tables – Each child will have a ‘rocket’ where they can track their learning of the times tables. We will practice them in class, however if you could also do this at home it would be very beneficial. Children can let one of the TAs know when they are ready to be tested on each table, and when complete they can move to the next one.
- Speaking and listening – As part of the curriculum, children need to be able to practice their speaking and listening skills regularly. We will have a slot each day where they can speak about a topic of their choice. They can bring something in to show or tell us about, or something they have done at the weekend, for example. Please note this only needs to last a couple of minutes. Please check the rota to see when your child’s turn is.
- Writing – I have included a ‘writing checklist’ so that you have an idea of what is expected from a Year 2 writer. Please try and encourage as much writing at home as possible, and help the children work towards these goals!
- Other homework – Other homework may be sent home depending on what we are learning in class
I look forward to meeting you all soon,